Popular South Carolina Plant is Deadly to Pets

September 13, 2016

Sago Palms may be a pretty addition to landscaping for homes in South Carolina, but it is DEADLY to dogs and cats. Originally native to Japan, Sago Palm’s use in landscaping and as an ornamental houseplant has been on the rise, and with it, more and more cases of poisoned pets.

Every single part of the plant is toxic, from the bark and wood, to the leaves and seeds. Ingesting even the tiniest amount can lead to:

  • vomiting

  • lethargy

  • diarrhea

  • loss of appetite

  • liver damage and liver failure

  • DEATH

If you suspect your pet has ingested Sago Palm, DO NOT HESITATE. Take them to a veterinarian IMMEDIATELY. Time is of the essence, and any delay can have serious repercussions for your pet, including death.

Removing sago palms inside the home is the the 100% sure way to protect your dog or cat. In landscaping, ensure your dog or cat cannot access it. Removal of the plant is best, but can be tricky, as ANY piece of the plant can be ingested by your pet without your knowledge and can cause death. Be certain to check your yard and soil for any remaining pieces of the plant and remove them, no matter how small.

 

 

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Please reload

Featured Posts

Adopting A Cat With Feline Leukemia Virus

July 9, 2018

1/5
Please reload

Recent Posts
Please reload

Archive